Treasures for body and mind

06 March, 2012

A Mermaid's Ring

The Philosopher's Stone featured Ms. Kathleen Johnson's work, to include her Barnacle Ring, on 27 June 2011.  Shortly thereafter, The Barnacle Ring became my obsession.   Eventually, Ms. Johnson made one for me.  She was wonderful: sending sketches of potential rings; adding a diamond; making suggestions; being sooo patient.  (Ms. Johnson is in England, so my ring had to go the Assay Office to be stamped before enameling, an unexpected bonus for a medieval maven like me).  The result was this wonderful ring!
The sun sucked all of the life out of the off-center barnacle's diamond and most of the color from the jelli-licious aquamarine on the top.  Usually, the diamond glimmers like a star on the water.

The moonstone, with a wee barnacle, grows underneath my finger. 

That's not tarnish on the back; it's enameling!  The whole ring is enamelled.  (Yes, the emu egg makes a cameo appearance.) 

My mom raised her eyebrows when she saw it.  A lady at work said, "I'm glad you like it, but it's not one of my favorites."  But my heart sings when I put it on- it is exactly what a mermaid would wear, tarnished by salt, encrusted with sea creatures, formed by a culture without the science of fire and metal.  Thank you, Ms. Johnson for a dream's beautiful memento. 

This ring's one drawback is that it is so unique that no other rings look right worn with it.  I may have to get another one or two of the Encrusted series, just to keep it company.

No comments: